Immigration Services


About Us
Contact Us

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

An Employment Authorization Document(EAD) is a document provided by the CIS to certain non-immigrants to authorize them to accept employment in the United States. These non-immigrants include:

  1. Applicants of I-485 (adjustment of status) application pending
  2. Spouses of J visa holders
  3. Spouses of L Visa holders
  4. F-1 Students on Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Adjustment of Status applicants can apply for an EAD concurrently with, or after filing of the I-485 application. H-4, O-3, and TD dependant family members, who are not legally eligible to be employed in the United States, may apply for employment authorization as Adjustment of Status applicants. EAD holders are eligible for employment with any employer, and there is no restriction in regard to the employment or the employer they choose. These EAD cards are issued for a period of one year at a time and are renewable till the Adjustment of Status application is adjudicated.

J-2 dependants and L-2 dependants are eligible to obtain EAD cards for the validity of the principal foreign national's J-1 or L-1 period of authorized stay.

Immigration Links


Dept. of Labor
Dept. of State

Use of material provided on these pages is restricted. Obtain prior permission from the publisher of the site.
© 2006 - Law Offices of Sophy Thomas. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use & Disclaimer.