Immigration Services


About Us
Contact Us

F-1 Visa

Who are eligible?
A non-immigrant student and his accompanying spouse and minor children may be admitted in to the United States on F-1 and F-2 classifications subject to the following:
  • Presents I-20 issued by the school in the U.S.
  • Documentary evidence of financial support
F-1 Students should safe keep the initial I-20 ID bearing the admission number and subsequent copies which have been issued.

Spouse and Minor Children following to join the student. Eligible for admission to the US if:

  • the F-1 student is or will be within sixty days, enrolled in a full course of study
  • the student is engaged in approved practical training following completion of study
They should present to the Consular Office abroad the I-20 ID of the F-1 student with proper endorsement by the DSO (Designated School Official)

Duration of Status: This is defined as the time during which an F-1 pursuing a full course of study at an educational institution approved by the Service of attendance by foreign students, or engaging in authorized practical training following completion of studies, plus sixty days to prepare for the departure from the United States.

The student is considered to be maintaining status if he/she is making normal progress towards completing a course of study.

Annual Vacation: The student is in status during the annual (or summer) vacation if the student is eligible or intends to register for the next year

Illness or medical condition: Because of illness or other medical condition a student has to interrupt a full course of study is considered to be in status during the illness or other medical condition. The student must resume a full course of study upon recovery.

Full Course of study: Successful completion of the full course of study must lead to the attainment of a specific educational or professional objective.

Reduced Course Load: An F-1 student authorized to reduce course load by the DSO is considered to be maintaining status

On Campus Employment: Employment must be either to be performed on the school premises (including school book store or cafeteria). Such employment must not exceed twenty hours a week while school is in session.

Optional practical Training: This is available to F-1 students who are enrolled on a full time basis for at least nine consecutive months. The training should have a direct relationship to the major area of study.

The optional practical training was introduced in 1992 under which non-curricular pre-completion practical training options were merged with the post completion practical training and limited to twelve months overall. A CIS issued employment authorization card (EAD) is required, but a job offer is not necessary

Immigration Links


Dept. of Labor
Dept. of State

Use of material provided on these pages is restricted. Obtain prior permission from the publisher of the site.
© 2006 - Law Offices of Sophy Thomas. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use & Disclaimer.